All types of families are encouraged to apply to host and there is no “typical” American Councils host family. Families come in all shapes and sizes, including those with and without children at home, young couples, “empty nesters,” single adults, and single parents.
As a host family, you need to be able to provide your student with:
- the opportunity to participate in your family’s daily life and events
- a safe, nurturing and primarily English‐speaking home environment
- a bed (not convertible or inflatable, but sharing a room with sibling of same gender is fine)
- a desk/table where the student can study
- three meals a day with either provisions for lunch or lunch money for school
- assistance with arranging transportation to/from school and extra‐curricular events